Hemp oil is becoming increasingly popular for consumption for those who struggle with anxiety, insomnia, inflammation, and more.
Derived from the cannabis plant, hemp is naturally free from THC, meaning that it doesn’t make you high. Instead, it comes with a range of relaxing and anti-inflammatory benefits.
If you’ve ever used hemp oil before, you’ve almost certainly accidentally knocked your oil bottle over. It happens to the best of us.
So, if you’ve tried to plop a few drops of hemp oil onto your tongue and missed your mouth completely, you’re probably wondering if there’s a way to remove hemp oil from your clothes.
How To Remove Weed Oil From Clothes
Before you panic and look for harsh chemicals in the cupboard, you’ll be reassured that you can use non-chemical solutions to remove weed oil stains.
Not only is this easier and more accessible, but it also means that the chemicals aren’t going to damage your clothing. Plus, natural stain removal methods are kinder to the environment.
Baking Soda And White Vinegar
Baking soda and white vinegar is one of the ultimate combinations for removing a range of stains, including hemp oil. This method is best for fresh spills.
- Firstly, remove the piece of clothing.
- Dab the stain with a paper towel, sponge, or rag that is dipped in warm, soapy water. You only need to do this for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Then, pour the baking soda on top of the affected area, as well as the underside. You can eyeball the amount of baking soda depending on the size of the stain.
- The baking soda needs to be left alone for 15 minutes until it turns brown and clumpy.
- Use a credit card, driver’s license, or similar material to scrape the brown baking soda away.
- Soak the affected area in white vinegar for around 10 minutes
- Lastly, rinse the area in hot water and leave it to air dry.
For stains that have dried, you can follow the same procedure, but swap the dry baking soda for a baking soda paste. This is a 2:1 ratio mixture of baking soda and water in a bowl. Rub the mixture into both sides of the affected area and allow it to sit for 30 minutes.
If the stain is still there, leave the baking soda paste on the area for as long as it takes.
Club Soda And Salt
While the baking soda and white vinegar is a good stain removal method, it can be quite abrasive to clothing. So, a good non-abrasive stain removal method for fresh stains is using club soda and salt.
- Remove the affected clothing.
- Pour some club soda onto a paper towel or tea towel.
- Dab the stain on the topside and underside with the club soda-doused towel.
- Generously pour salt over the stain.
- Pour more club soda over the salt.
- Let the mixture sit for 1–2 hours, then shake off the salt.
- Dab the area with a fresh towel and water until clean.
This might seem like a strange stain removal method, but it works. If you’ve got a can of coca-cola lying around, you can use it to remove the hemp stain on clothing.
- Take off the affected clothing and put it in the sink or outside.
- Open a can of Coca-cola, and pour most of it directly onto the stain.
- Allow it to soak for 20 minutes.
- Rinse the clothing thoroughly with water.
For small hemp oil stains, you won’t need anything more than dish soap.
- Remove the affected clothing.
- Dab the excess oil with a paper towel.
- Apply dish soap directly to the area and scrub with a toothbrush or sponge. You can also soak the garment in water first.
- Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry.
As if aloe vera doesn’t come with enough benefits, it can also be used as a natural stain-remover. Please note that this method is only suitable for small, fresh oil stains.
- Soak the affected clothing in warm water.
- Rub the aloe vera into the stain with a cloth, sponge, or soft brush. You can use store-bought aloe vera, or the juice from an aloe vera plant.
- Wash the garment in the washing machine at the hottest setting, and allow it to air dry.
For stubborn stains, you can use acetone. This solvent is great for lifting oils from colorfast fabrics. However, keep in mind that acetone can dissolve certain fabrics, such as wool or silk.
Before you try this method, make sure to test the acetone on your clothing first to see how it reacts.
- Remove the affected clothing.
- Use a cloth or Q-tip to apply small amounts of acetone to the affected area. Try not to rub it into the fabric or go beyond the stain.
- Allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the affected area with water, and repeat the process until the stain is gone.
- Hand-wash the clothing with hot water and allow it to air dry.
Tips For Removing Hemp Oil From Clothes
There are certain fundamentals to removing any kind of stain, particularly oil stains, from fabric such as clothes or furniture. Here are the simple rules you need to follow when you accidentally drop hemp oil over your clothes.
The faster you act, the less chance of the oil turning into a stain. So, make sure to act immediately when you drop hemp oil onto your clothes.
Dab First, Rub Later
When you spill oil onto your clothes, your first instinct might be to rub it away. This is one of the worst things you can do to prevent an oil stain. By rubbing a fresh spill, you are essentially spreading the oil to other parts of the clothing, which will only make the stain bigger.
So, for fresh spills, make sure to dab the oil away first before rubbing it. However, if the stain has dried and set into the fabric, you can adopt the rubbing technique.
Clean Both Sides
Just because the stain is mostly visible on one side of your clothing doesn’t mean that it hasn’t stained the other side. Even though you’re not likely to wear your t-shirt or jeans inside out, you need to clean the underside of the fabric to get the stain out.
This is because a stain is going to move to another part of the fabric to make its mark. So, by cleaning both sides of the fabric, you’re essentially stopping the stain from escaping elsewhere, and cutting it off at the source.
So, there you have it! If you have accidentally dropped hemp oil onto your clothing, hopefully, this guide has shown you the best ways to remove it quickly and without damaging your clothes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, CBD oil can wash out of clothes and furniture. There are several non-chemical ways to remove a CBD oil stain. It might take a few tries and multiple washes, but it should not leave a permanent stain.
- 5 Best Weed T-Shirts For Women - June 26, 2023
- What To Wear To A Cannabis Café: 10 Awesome Options - June 26, 2023
- What Is Stoner Girl Clothing? All You Need To Know - June 26, 2023